2016 Strategic Plan Remix
Empowering our Gospel Witness
This is an update of the 2011 Strategic Plan, which will continue to benefit from “rolling updates” in order to remain a living document. The vision, mission, values, and broad-brush Strategic Objectives remain the same as those developed earlier, while the Strategic Objectives and their associated Goals provide new or renewed focus and guidance. These focus areas are intended to equip, encourage, and empower the people of the Diocese of El Camino Real to lead lives in Christ that reflect our Vision, Mission, and Values.
We, the Episcopal Church along the historic El Camino Real, strive to be a resilient and dynamic Gospel presence, empowering people to lead faithful lives in a rapidly changing world.
The mission of the Diocese of El Camino Real is to strengthen local ministries and connect our common life with the wider Church and the world.
Christ-Centeredness – Through prayer, worship, and ministry we deepen our relationship with Jesus so we may more effectively spread God’s love.
Reconciliation – We are always mindful of God’s mercy and the power to experience healing through forgiveness. We live and share this Gospel message to help people experience God’s love and saving Grace.
Passion – Energized by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to action and excellence in serving all of God’s diverse creation.
Integrity – We’ll do what we say we’re going to do, and we’ll share the responsibilities of leadership in a spirit of mutual love and respect, striving for transparency in all that we do.
Innovation & Creativity – Our mission calls us to develop new and engaging ways of sharing the rich gifts of our faith.
Strategic Objective 1: Build Leadership for the Future
Goal One: Develop learning communities with particular focus on Gospel witness, leadership development across generations, historical and cultural reconciliation, and social justice.
Goal Two: Support Goal One (above) with a reimagined CERC (Conference Education Resource Committee), which will expand and develop diocesan offerings for formation and education.
Goal Three: Equip our Boards, Committees, Commissions and the Bishop’s Council of Advice to lead their respective areas of mission support.
Goal Four: Foster a healthy culture of voluntary generosity, spiritual inquiry and formation, and exemplary stewardship throughout the diocese.
– Maintain the position of Development Officer to help build capacity and raise funds for the diocese and to serve as a broad-view resource to congregations.
– Provide resources and targeted training to congregations to help them in their fundraising efforts.
Strategic Objective 2: Cultivate the Treasures Within Our Neighborhoods
Goal One: Exercise our developing cross-cultural understanding so our congregations better reflect their neighborhoods.
– Continue to support congregations as they expand their horizons of mission and ministry and connect with their communities.
– Foster leadership, church growth and retention strategies that capitalize on local opportunities.
– Continue providing Mission Opportunity Grants.
Goal Two: Embrace and enliven inter-generational participation.
– Hire a full-time Youth and Young Adult Missioner to serve the entire diocese as we increase our capacity to attract, engage and retain young people in our communities.
– Build a network of young adults throughout the diocese that offers safe and intentional space for the encouragement of their faith lives.
Strategic Objective 3: Strengthen Our Connection with One Another and the Wider World
Goal One: Cultivate broad community and global partnerships in areas of mutual interest.
Goal Two: Foster effective communications among diocesan Commissions, especially between congregations and the diocese, to share successes and encourage their mutual inspiration and support.
– Revive the Communications Commission.
– Continue parish visits and occasional workshops by the Communication Specialist to serve as a resource for parishes who wish to modernize their communications program and venture into contemporary media.
For more information or to volunteer for a commission role, please contact Canon Brian Nordwick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 831-394-4465.