Session 2: Salying Wong’s story
The Rev. Salying Wong describes her life, her family's history in China and America, and her experiences with race and the Episcopal Church in this interview, the second in our continuing series "A Storied Pilgrimage With Race."
Books and Articles:
- Chinese in the Monterey area
- Chinese in the Salinas Valley
- Chinese in San Luis Obispo
- Chinese in the Santa Clara Valley
Venture to one of the sites of the Chinese settlements or museums:
- The 1850s-era Whaler's Cabin Museum in Carmel, on the Monterey peninsula, the last remaining original cabin of Chinese immigrants
- The Pacific Grove Chinese Fishing Village and its online exhibitions
- The Chinese Historic and Cultural Project museum in San Jose
Think back to a question from the Rev. Salying Wong’s interview: Have you felt like an outsider in a community? Did you leave, or choose to assimilate into the community? Why?