The Commission on Ministry assists the Bishop in providing the development and affirmation of the ministry of all baptized persons in the Church. Each diocese has a Commission on Ministry consisting of clergy and lay persons. The number of members, terms of office, and manner of selection to the commission shall be determined by the Canons of each diocese.
Commission on Ministry Events
Discovery Day is an annual one-day program that explores how the four orders of ministry in the Episcopal Church — laity, deaconate, priesthood, and bishop — complement and support each other. Discovery Day is followed by a 12 week Inquirers Group program for those who wish to delve more deeply into the work of the four orders of ministry. The programs are open to all interested lay persons. Individuals considering holy orders must participate in both programs. The 2017 Discovery Day was held on Saturday, May 13.
COM Inquirers Group Guide – This document is a guide for those who will be convening and attending Inquirers Groups, which continue the discernment process after attending Discovery Day.
Navigating the Discernment Process, a workshop describing the ordination process and the work of the Commission On Ministry in El Camino Real, is held in January of each year. The workshop is particularly valuable for anyone who is discerning a call to the diaconate or priesthood, rectors plus members of vestries and congregations which have a person in the ordination process, and members of the Standing Committee. For next year’s date and registration information, please email Dottie Fuller at email@example.com. (Please state “COM Registration” in the subject line.)
Discerning your lay ministry? Try the following:
- Take EfM (Education for Ministry), a 4-year certificate program; you can start in any year and commit to one year at a time. Based on small-groups and online study, it’s located at http://efm.sewanee.edu/about-efm/about-efm. Ask your rector where the closest EfM group meets.
- Take online CALL (Center for Anglican Learning and Leadership) classes through the Church Divinity School of the Pacific (CDSP).
- Ask your Rector to recommend books to read for spiritual development.
- Lead a book study or Bible study group at your church.
- Become a licensed lay minister or licensed lay preacher: https://www.realepiscopal.org/licenses-for-lay-ministry/
- Teach Sunday School — for any age — at your church. It will connect you with the material!
- Become a Stephen Minister http://www.stephenministries.org/
- Lectionary Study Reading Between the Lines: download in MS Word or PDF
Discernment and Ordination Documents
The Commission on Ministry has developed several interrelated documents. The first two documents, Qualities to Consider in the Discernment of God’s Call and Discerning Paths of Ministry, are designed to assist the reader in the discernment of a lay or ordained ministry. The next document, Steps Toward Ordination, describes in detail the process leading to ordination to the Vocational Diaconate and to the Priesthood. Also below is the approved Spiritual Director Resource Directory. Click the links below to view and download:
Discerning Paths of Ministry (rev. 2016)
Steps Toward Ordination (rev. 2017)
Ordination Forms (not fillable)
Form 11 – Medical Evaluation
For more information about ministry resources, contact us.
Along the King’s Highway, the weekly E-newsletter of El Camino Real
Get the latest updates in your inbox: